“April Showers Bring May Flowers”
10 Ways to Help You Spring into Summer
The long heavy nights, knitted scarfs, mud boots, and gloomy winter days feel like they are never going to end…how many more TV shows and movies can I watch? I tell myself that before next winter, “I’m moving somewhere warm.” This happens to be the main topic of conversation in my home. I have had enough of the frigid winter; fantasies for sandy white beaches, bikinis, sunglasses, blue skies, flip-flops and the smell of coconut oil pervade my mind. However, I live in the mountains so these fantasies may not come entirely true.
April presents the promise of spring with just a flirtation of summer. The senses become alive again; the world becomes vibrant with green grass, a deep blue sky, blooming daffodils, skipping chipmunks, chatty birds, warm kisses from the sun, rain showers, and the beginning bounties of berries and dark leafy greens. Ahhh spring, the time of re-birth and creation.
It’s time to pull ourselves out of winter slumber and into the promise of summer. This transition donates the time of schlepping off the old worn out layers to create space for a newly rested and revived self. Mother earth is energized, full of potent creative energy ready to take fruition. Enjoy these 10 tips to help you embrace the spring and bloom into summer.
- Get Up and Get Moving – Sleeping in cause’s lethargy, try rising with the sun.
- Make a Refreshing Ginger-Brew – Blend a thumb size piece of ginger, the juice of 2 lemons and 2 cups of water until very frothy, strain into a cup, add honey or maple syrup to taste and Enjoy!
- Hit up the Spring Bounty – Have a bowl of seasonal berries for breakfast. Strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries are all in season.
- Take a Yoga Class that will Challenge you and Make you Sweat – Creating heat and stimulating circulation throughout the body will help rid your body of mucus and stagnant toxins that may be lingering from the winter.
- Spice up Your Food – Adding chili peppers, ginger, garlic, or even black pepper to your meal will stimulate the digestive fire for quicker removal of toxins from the digestive tract.
- Do a Cleanse – Try an Ayurvedic cleanse which is both detoxifying and replenishing for the whole system.
- Make a New Playlist – Find songs that make you feel happy and make you wanna move.
- Tune up Your Bike – Be prepared for a spontaneous bike ride with your friends.
- Expose a Little Skin – Time to retire the boots and heavy sweaters and pull out the sandals, tank-tops and summer dresses.
- Buy Yourself a New Favorite Everyday Summer Dress – One that you can wear casually and also dress it up.
Me in my new French Terry Mini Dress by SOLOW, my everyday new spring favorite!